Linking up with Ashley and Neely
This week (for new friends dropping by) we're introducing the blog again.
1. What is the name of your blog?
London Calling. Not taken from The Clash song (which I do like) but rather the bit in the Eurovision Song contest when they go round all the countries for the voting. They go to the capital
cities, each used to introduce themselves "Hello Paris (or wherever), this is London calling and here are the results of the United Kingdom voting". Because I live and work in London it seemed a great title to let everyone know what we're all about.
2. What do you love most about blogging?
I love being able to empty the contents of my head onto the page and put them out there for anyone to read. I love that I've met so many other people this way; reading their blogs, them reading mine...
3. Why did you start blogging?
I'm not sure I even remember! This is actually blog number 3... the first blog is possibly still out there somewhere... I can't remember it's address and the email address I used at the time is long gone... so hopefully it is still out there as a monument to my life then. Blog number 2 was hosted on somebody else's website. Big mistake. They shut it down without warning and the blog was gone. I'd backed up some of it... but not enough. So attempt 3! I first posted here on 5th October 2006 I then abandoned it; and moved off to MySpace. I hated MySpace and only used it for blogging; for four months... then I moved back here... copying all the posts from MySpace in the process!
4. What is something you'd want to tell someone just starting out in the blogging world?
Engage with your audience. Blog regularly and people will read. Write about what you want to write about; not what you think people want to read. It's nice to know that people read you blog... but just like Twitter and its social media friends... it is never about the numbers... it is about you!
5. Biggest bloging learning experience you've had?
I don't have a really faithful follower in Mountain View, California who comes to read several times a day. That's the Googlebot. That's where he lives.
6. What are three blogs you love?
I would direct you to my blog roll... but it is broken and undergoing maintenance! Being a spoonie and reading a lot of blogs by people with health conditions has its perils; they often get too sick to write and some of my favourite blogs have now gone. But those that are left... well I really want to introduce you to some that maybe you don't read already...
- I love F1 and this blog keeps me going in between races! A Dash of Eau Rouge.
- Chris over at Serendipitous provides a delightful mix of pictures and observations, you never know what you'll get next!
- Steph (who I bump into on Twitter and Instagram) has a great blog over at Texas to London - another fabulous mixture of never knowing what you'll get next!!