Linking up with Ashley and Neely for the Sunday Social - today it's things of 5
1. 5 songs you'll listen to the rest of your life
Songs come, songs go. Five for the rest of my life are mostly from the genre loosely termed classical.
- What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong (regular readers will know this is because it was the first dance at our wedding)
- Nessun Dorma (from Puccini's 'Turandot') - "None Shall Sleep" sung by Pavrotti for preference
- Va, Pensiero (from Verdi's 'Nabucco') - I like to sing along, amusing on the underground!
- Allegri's Miserere - best listening moment ever flying to Scotland, looking out of the window at an amazing blue sky. Famously (if you studied music) it was only allowed to be performed by the Vatican at certain services and any other performance was punishable by excommunication; a young Mozart transcribed it by hearing it only twice; but rather than being excommunicated the Pope heaped praise on his musical genius.
- Flower Duet from Delibes' 'Lakme' - This I really can sing along too as my friend and I once performed it at a concert; I couldn't hit those high notes anymore! Anyone in the UK will know it as the British Airways theme.
The view I had for Allegri's Miserere
2. 5 things on your bucket list
OK, so given the fact that I hate flying and travelling with walking aids is a real pain, most of these are never likely happen (but isn't that the point of a bucket list?!)
- A trip back to the US East coast, NYC again (see the Yankees play), Boston (see the Red Sox play for Husband's benefit) and Washington DC (which I meant to visit when I went to NYC in '99)
- Visit Japan, up in the mountains at the right time of year there are amazing colours; go to one of those traditional spa/bath places. My boss was showing me his holiday photos from his trip last year and it really made we want to go.
- Visit UAE, my company has offices in Abu Dhabi and Dubai and having seen the photos taken by colleagues there I want to go and see some of the buildings (tragic geek)
- Run the London Marathon. So not happening as I can't walk about twelve feet without having to stop and take a rest
- Do a fire walk. There was going to be one for charity last year (it got cancelled in the end) and I wanted to do that so badly - I reckon if you're allowed wooden staffs I'd be able to do that one.
I don't do celebs very much; I am inclined to name actors as they spring to mind.
- Misha Collins (the lovely Castiel in Supernatural)
- Eddie McClintock (the fantastic Pete in Warehouse 13)
- Christian Bale (known by me as 'the lovely Christian Bale')
- Morgan Freeman (movies are watched on the basis that he is in them)
- Anthony Stewart Head (most famous in this house for playing Giles in 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer')
4. 5 things you always carry in your purse
There are a lot more than five things that I always carry in my handbag (even when I have to downsize!)
- Cell phone
- Fingerless gloves
- A mini 'Tangle-teazer' hairbrush
- Bus pass/Taxi-card (they live in the same holder)
- RADAR key (opens disabled toilets)
5. 5 books on your reading list
Again this is a list that contains a lot (a real lot - 97 on GoodReads) more than five items! I'll just pick five at random (scrolled the list stopped randomly)
- Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) - saw the film last night and most reviews said the book was better!
- The World Without Us - Alan Wiesman
- Laughter in the Dark - Vladimir Nabokov
- Born on a Blue Day - Daniel Tammet
- The Lake - Banana Yoshimoto
6. Share the last 5 pictures on your phone
These aren't the exact last five pictures as I tend to take a lot of Casper K and that would just be a lot of photos of a sleeping cat (not that there is anything wrong with that!) - you'd get more interesting pictures if I hadn't been gardening on Friday or if it had been during the week!
For more photos follow me on Instagram